Saturday, October 31, 2009

Chile Dogs


There are almost more dogs on the streets in Santiago (and Valparaiso) than people. But the thing that differs between these homeless dogs and, for example, their raggedy-ann Bangkokian brethren, is these fellas don't look like street dogs. They are just as well fed and fit (with a few exceptions of course) as normal housed dogs. And they aren't straight out mongrel breeds, there are homeless sausage dogs, poodles, cocker spaniels and even fucking huskies man! As far as I can gather the reason is thus: it is common here for people to buy puppies then get sick of them when they lose the cute factor (not everyone of course) and boot 'em out on the street. BUT it is also super duper common for people to feed these dogs and pat and play with them on the street. Almost as if they are outside dogs but no one has a yard so the only outside they have is the street. It is a bit sad because that means that if they are fit-ish and well fed they will $%&* and make more street dogs (there are a lot of experienced old saggy boobed mothers trotting around).


This dude looked more like a retired, down-and-out Fozzie Bear, sans hat, reduced to walk on all fours and ask for money.

I can still feel the shivers of horror running down my spine when this demonic canine made eye contact with me. Those EYES!

Then the bastard made a run at me!

Possibly the oldest dog-geezer I have ever seen. If you told me this market dog was 150 years old I would believe you.


Awwwww yeaaaaaah. That liberating I'm gonna knock one out on the pavement anywhere I like whenever I like and keep on walking feeling.

All of them are seriously street savvy. They cross at the lights with people most of the time, or, they wander around as they please but no one seems bothered by them and I have never seen any type of dog-accident.






I am assuming that because this little dude has a jacket that he is owned but the thing is you just don't know around here if that's the case or whether someone gave a street dog an old lumberjacks jacket and then fucked off.



This old bird has done her fair share of littering methinks.


Snowdog! And a lot of them had a lot less hair than this guy but didn't seem fazed by the terrifyingly shirt-tearing conditions.

Some of these blokes are so street savvy that they smoke AND use an ashtray. So European.

No, this lad wasn't thrown haphazardly against a wall he was just sleeping — on a main boulevard at that!


Another demon-eyed sheila. Have a click to zoom in closer and see the terror.




But they are so damned cute that I can understand why people just have to feed them and give 'em a little pat.




I tried my best to get a quick shot of this awesome little pit bull champ before he was led off but the bastard turned around and the last minute and gave me an eyeful.


It's weird seeing them in groups too because they are such odd match ups. I have seen it all from fluffy white lap dogs kicking it on the curb with Alsatians to alpha male poodles abusing multiple other dogs 1o times bigger than themselves.

Definitely preggers (or seriously backed up).


This little dude was just plain scary with that freaky judgmental little stare. I felt berated and ashamed after taking this photo.

2 comments:

  1. About the dog jackets, I wondered about them too. And after much asking around, found out that there are local school groups (espcially in the universities) that go around in the winter and put coats on the street dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ow yeah!! Well explained!!

    I noticed too that the dogs cross the street when they see the green traffic lights, even they cross before the humans.
    I also realized that when you walk alone in the dark by a dangerous street, the dogs walk with you and bark to the strange people, for keep you.
    I am sure that the santiago dogs are a superior intelligence. The most probably they have a alien host inside their body.

    I can't wait to see the Atacama's chronicle!!!

    See you, man!!

    Toni
    http://illanegra.blogspot.com/

    PS: Well, sorry for my bad english...

    ReplyDelete