Friday, October 16, 2009

Australian Cuisine Masterclass


We had a party for French boy Camile's birthday at the residence the other Friday or Saturday night (can't remember which!). The idea was that everyone would make a 'typical' dish from their own country, either sweet or savoury. Being the the accomplished culinary wizz kid that I am, I whipped up a cracker of a cake, a traditional Australian Chocolate Cake if you will. And being Australian I am also well versed at taking something already existing (like a supermarket cake for example), slightly changing it and palming it off as my own. No one suspected a thing however, I told them I spent three days preparing it in my room in the secret Australian tradition, which involves preparing everything by hand (that's right, one hand only) listening to ACDC and using only the tools immediately available; a basin for mixing, toothbrush for stirring, old undies for sifting flour and then let it set in a rubbish bin.

Jaime (pronounced nothing like that, more like Hi-may, but with a meaty throat clear at the beginning) is the old geezer that looks after the residence. Which entails yelling at people for smoking inside, yelling at people for making too much noise too late outside and yelling at people for destroying the kitchen. As you can see he was a massive fan of the Australian Chocolate Cake, even claiming it was the best dish prepared for the evening. I blushed but had to reluctantly agree with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment